Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tasty Num Nums

My dinner tonight was smorgasbord of weirdy mcgee stuff...Campbell's Chunky tomato soup with pasta, a delicious dark stout beer, a chunk of bleu cheese and two poptarts. I know what you're thinking: "Wow, that girl is a food con-o-soor!" And you sir or ma'am would be correct.

I mean, I'm not really a connoisseur in the traditional sense of the word, but I do like to eat. And I really like to discover new flavors and how they interact with each other. So today, I'm thankful for those little papillary (btw, the term papillary means "a small, nipplelike projection. Tee-hee...nipplelike projection!) marvels called taste buds. I'm not gonna pretend to get all scientifical and whatnot, because I'd have to wiki the eff out of how taste buds work. I'm not gonna lie, though. I did google this subject just now, but all I saw were big words, taste descriptors and medulla oblongata. Whenever medulla oblongata comes up in conversation it just makes me think of Water Boy and then I can't take it seriously anymore.

But that's neither here nor there. Have you taken a bite of something and had it bring back a great memory? Or taken a taste of something, a bite of something else, and had your whole mouth experience completely change? That happened today with my bleu cheese and beer, and it just made me smile. Sip of beer, bitter. Bite of cheese. Another sip of beer, nutty and a little sweet. Mouth Magic. Boom.

To me, that's one of the greatest joys of eating. Finding tastes and smells and textures and learning how they interact with each other. Wheat Thins and Nutella are an amazing combination. Pretty much any cheese (Except for Gruyere. That shit smells like feet and chocolate when it's melted. I'm sure it tastes good, but I can't get past the smell. See, it all comes full circle...) and pretty much any fruit will take you far in life. What are some of your favorite food/drink combinations?

No comments:

Post a Comment