Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bang Bang

I like to think of myself as a classy lady. I have red fingernails. I like to wear high heels. I drink martinis. My coat has a big, flouncy ruffle on the bottom. Classy broad, right here!

But oddly enough, one of my favorite forms of entertainment is loud, fast paced, usually involves sexy men and is best experienced with other people.

So today, dear hearts, I'm thankful for action movies! You don't have to think too much, there's always something to keep your attention, they're often pretty irreverent and raunchy as hell and it's so easy to just sit back and enjoy. I think a big part of the reason I love them so much is because of Gary. I know that he LOVED kung fu movies and pretty much anything with fast cars and good shoot-em-up scenes. I remember always sitting in the back room and cranking up the volume and watching Terminator or sitting in the living room watching Kill Bill or the fight scene between the Hulk and Loki in the Avengers. And there was always something a little magical about going to see an awesome action flick at the theater and feeling the sense of camaraderie when the entire room cheers after the bad guy get spanked and sent to bed with no dinner!

Another reason I love these movies is because the women are almost always bad asses (I mean, have you seen Linda Hamilton do her gimpy legged, one armed shotgun cock and shoot in Terminator 2?!? My absolute favorite favorite FAVORITE example of badassery.) Of course you'll have your occasional damsel in distress, but far more often, you'll have Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns, Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider, Rachel Weisz in The Mummy Returns, Uma, Vivica, Lucy and Daryl in Kill Bill, Helen Mirren in RED and you get the picture. Then you have the late blooming badasses, who start out damselly, but then get their shit together. Perfect example? Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies. The stripping scene in the hotel is both epic and beyond ridiculous. In short, the ladies in these movies just GSD (get shit done) all day long.

Huh. That was weird. Pretty sure my inner feminist just came out to say hello ;-)

Anyway, there's just something kinda sexy about the action flicks, even the ones that have an actor playing the same role over and over again, because that's pretty much all he can do. Jason Statham, I'm talking about you. All you can do is drive cars fast and punch/roundhouse kick things. But you look delish while you do it, so I'm okay with that.

What are some good ones to add to our collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment