Friday, August 19, 2011

Good Girlfriend/Bad Girlfriend?

Here's a little fact about me...I have a mortal fear of vomit. A phobia if you will. Intellectually, I know if someone gets sick, it's not a big deal and it probably won't last that long. Irrationally and emotionally, I become a wreck. I get nervous, shaky, my heart starts pounding, my palms get sweaty and I get an anxious gut. If you have ever seen me in a hospital, you know what a mess I become.

Now that you know this, fast forward to last night. The beau and I went to the Movie Tavern for dinner and a movie (30 Minutes or Less...not that great). About 2/3 of the way through, he abruptly stands up and says "I have to go to the bathroom." My stomach instantly dropped, because I knew what that meant. After about 15 minutes, I texted him to make sure he was still alive and he said he was outside. I paid the bill and went to collect him. We got into the car and he sighed and looked at me and said, "You're gonna keep staring at me and asking if I'm alright, aren't you?" I said yes, but that I would try to keep it to a minimum, because I know that irritates him if he's not feeling well. And let's face it, if I needed to pull over, I wanted as much lead time as possible to make that happen.

We made it home without incident, but when we got there, I cleaned out the toilet (because I believe if you're gonna puke, you already feel terrible and shouldn't have to put your face in a dirty shitter), I put headphones on and sat on the couch playing on the computer and reading a book. But I stayed on the couch all night reading until I fell asleep at about 5 a.m. I did it for 2 reasons: 1) I knew that as soon as I went into the bedroom, the dogs would wake up and start fidgeting. 2) I knew I would be all anxious, I wouldn't sleep anyway, and everytime he moved, I would be on alert.

Does that make me a bad girlfriend? I didn't sleep in the bed with him because he was feeling nauseous (if it was just a cold, I wouldn't really have cared). But I wanted to make sure he wasn't disturbed by my restlessness and the dogs fidgeting. And I cleaned out the toilet. That has to count for something, right?!?

Small victory, he didn't even get sick at all :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment