Thursday, July 28, 2011

Weeds...bah!

Over the past couple of days, I've had to get out in the hot hot heat and weed my garden. Let me just tell you, this is a recipe for disaster: a couple days of rain + a couple weeks of sun - any sort of weeding = a damn jungle! I've kept it watered, but I get so anal about the tiny weeds that aren't doing anything. Because of that, I have just let the weeds grow, so that I would have something to actually pick. It's a very satisfying feeling, ripping up a handful of weeds and tossing them into the waste bucket. Not so much when you have a shoot the size of a tiny screw with one sad little leaf on it.

So I let them go...for about 3 weeks. To let them grow. Not to mention the fact that it's just been hot as hell, and I get eaten alive by mosquitoes the second I set foot in the backyard (P.S. Those OFF belt clip fan doo-hickies are a big, fat, non-mosquito-repelling lie!). A couple of days ago, I decided to suck it up and get out there. Well, was I in for a surprise! 5 hours (over the course of 2 days) and 15 buckets of weeds later, it's finally clear. Mostly. I've decided I'm not going to deal with the ones that aren't directly around my veggies. I will say this though. Conditions that are ripe for weeds to grow are also pretty dang good for the veggies to grow too! I have tomatoes, cucumbers and okra all putting out fruit! I can't even wait for the cucumbers...just the vines smell so delicious, like I need to make myself a cucumber martini, STAT!

Yummo for fresh produce :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment