Friday, February 10, 2012

Spicy, Chocolatey Goodness...(and I'm Not Talking About Me!)

So, I was going to start this post off by describing how I'm pretty sure that Mother Nature is exhibiting symptoms of Dissociative Personality Disorder. But then I got bored trying to make the metaphorical analysis, so here's the deal. It's cold and snowy this evening. Last week it was like 60 degrees. My nerves are all jangly because the weather is all over the place. And even though I HATE being cold, I would rather it just be damn winter than being a big spring-like tease. Which leads me to the main reason for this post.

After I got home from work and running several errands, I was fuh-reezing and all I wanted was a mug of something warm. Hot. Chocolate. Yussssss. Then I realized I didn't have any milk and I didn't want to go back out. So I improvised. I had some heavy whipping cream, and figured I would make it work. This is what I came up with: (Not gonna lie, I felt like this last sentence needed to have the "DINK DINK" sound that comes at the beginning of Law and Order: SVU. It felt more epic in my head)

This is enough to make one mega fatkid mug of hot chocolate, like I drank, or 2 normal sized mugs. Don't judge me. I was cold.

1/3 to 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (1/3 cup for one mega fatkid mug, 1/2 cup for 2 mugs)
1.5 oz of whatever hot chocolate powder you prefer (I'm partial to the World Market Gingerbread or S'Mores flavors)
Boiling water
Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
Pinch of ground ginger, optional
Pinch of cinnamon, optional


With a hand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the whipping cream until it just begins to stiffen. I did it in the mug, you can do it in the mug or in a small bowl, and then separate it out into 2 mugs. Add the hot chocolate powder, cayenne pepper, ginger and cinnamon and continue beating until the cream is stiff. Don't go too long, or it'll get grainy!

Separate into two mugs, if you're going that route. Add enough boiling water to fill the mug(s). Stir to melt the whipped cream. Drink that shit up.

Let me tell you what your mouth is about to experience. The thickest, creamiest, deliciousest (yup, that just happened) hot chocolate of life. Because all the powder is mixed into the whipped cream, you don't get that sad clump of graininess at the bottom of the mug. It doesn't start out with a hearty mouthfeel and get all thin at the end. This drink is thick and creamy all the way to the end. If you're brave enough to add the spices, it gives your tummy an extra feeling of warmth, and makes you just want to curl up under a fuzzy blanket and never leave. It's a pretty damn good way to deal with the cold and if I had any talent whatsoever at building a fire, that would be the perfect way to relax on a cold evening :-) Next time I make this bad boy, I'm using dark chocolate. It's gonna get crazy...

No comments:

Post a Comment